Our vision is for Tartu to be among the top ten Nordic cities with the best living environment.
We will focus on making domestic roads safer in the next four years. Special attention will be given to traffic solutions near schools and kindergartens. We will continue promoting walking and cycling. We will also rid the city of dark and badly lit areas and expand the area of Tartu under video surveillance.
We will make administration easier, more transparent and accessible to all parties for monitoring online in order to promote entrepreneurship. Enterprises and research institutions need functioning and convenient international transport connections – a four-lane road to Tallinn, fast and frequent train connections and more air services. We will establish a municipal support measure for the development of air traffic.
In order to further culture in Tartu, we want to get the long-awaited downtown cultural centre up and running in the next four years. Tartu City Library, the folk university, youth centres, students and many more need modern premises. The park and the children's playground must form a whole with the cultural centre, and the park in the city centre must become the most cultural-oriented park in Tartu.
Tartu is innovative
• We will establish a support fund for spin-offs with universities and investors.
• We will develop a platform for uniting schools, traineeship places and jobs.
• We will establish a support measure for enterprises for assessment of the initial value arising from digitalisation.
• We will double the volume of the participatory budget.
• We will develop the service modules of paper-free administration.
People in Tartu are healthy and valued
• We will map and mark light traffic paths and hiking trails.
• We will establish new open air sports fields and playgrounds, and outdoor gyms.
• We will build a dome hall on the astroturf football pitch.
• We will look for opportunities with the private sector for the establishment of a new care home.
• We will increase the number of support specialists who work with children.
• We will establish a daycare service for severely disabled children.
Tartu has spirit
• We will renovate and modernise all schoolhouses in Tartu over the next 12 years.
• We will focus on Tartu becoming the European Capital of Culture 2024.
• We will increase salaries in kindergartens and childcare centres and in cultural institutions.
• It must be possible for children whose native language is not Estonian to start learning Estonian in kindergartens.
• We will continue supporting the participation of children in hobby clubs via a capitation fee system.
• We will establish a support programme for talented young people in hobby education.
It's good to live in Tartu
• We will establish a network of rental bikes in Tartu.
• We will improve the public transport network.
• We will establish a new recycling centre and ensure everyone in the city collects biowaste.
• We will establish a river promenade between Võidu bridge and Karlova harbour and develop the River Emajõgi swimming place into an attractive beach area.
• We will tidy up Jaamamõisa and make it safer.
• We will continue establishing dog walking grounds in different city districts.